The Graystone Inn was built by Joseph Schad in the neo-classical revival style designed by architect Charles MacMillen in 1905. The huge Indiana limestone structure has soaring entrance walls that are white Italian Carrara marble, with solid red oak woodwork and 14-foot Corinthian columns. To the left, the large parlor includes a fireplace edged with pale green onyx, a concert-ready baby grand piano, and solid brass wall sconces. Behind the parlor, the library is completely paneled with Honduran mahogany. A sitting room to the right of the entrance features oil-glazed ragged walls to compliment the Italian Verdi marble fireplace and large-scale mantel.
Highlighted by an American Empire-style chandelier from the mid-1800s, the Renaissance-style staircase rises to the second and third floors, where nine varied guestrooms await. Each of the spacious rooms features period furnishings, beautiful draperies, queen- or king-size beds, fine pima cotton linens, and full bathrooms. Two suites offer king-size beds, double showers, and separate champagne tubs.