Noronha Manor House (17th Century)
I think it is a place of very remote origins, and the landlord of great noblemen since the Reconquista. It was part of the property of Mem Martins de Ribadouro and Egas Moniz, in the 12th century, and housed in the 17th century the noble houses of Pimentéis and Gouveias and Noronhas, located in the small village of A-de-Barros.
The latter family, Noronha, is connected to the manor of the same name, also known as Casa de D. Dinis, because it is identified in the locality with the house where King D. Dinis spent the night when he passed by A-de-Barros, in its way from Trancoso to Lamego, around 1310. In fact, and although an earlier construction may have been the origin of this legend, Solar dos Noronhas is an 18th century work.
The genealogy of this family is uncertain, but the descendants of a Bernardo Rebelo de Carvalho, who was born and died in "Quinta de Adebarros" in the late 16th and early 17th centuries, are known. This farm could be both the property where today Solar dos Noronhas stands, as well as that of Pimentéis e Gouveias, since these branches also merged with the Carvalhos of the municipality of Caria (to which Penso belonged until its extinction, in 24 October 1855). The reference to the name Rebelo can also point to Maria Rebelo, wife of Álvaro da Costa, nobleman of the place around 1500, who gave some impetus to the growth of Penso. The parish church was built in 1545 by Álvaro da Costa and Maria Rebelo. The branch of the Noronha de A-de-Barros family will have been extinguished in 1876, with the death of António Pinto Osório, widower of Antónia de Noronha Guedes de Carvalho, who still kept these two surnames in his name - the Noronhas and the Oaks. It should also be noted that at the end of the 16th century or the beginning of the 17th century an António Rebelo Teixeira, from Penso, married his niece, daughter of Diogo Lopes de Carvalho, from whom the Morgados do Poço descendants, lords of the important Casa do Poço de Lamego.The manor is a traditional example of an emblazoned house from the 17th century, with a chapel, two mills and several outbuildings. The main house, of rectangular plan and low ceilings, is structured on two floors of markedly horizontal lines. The main façade is austere and perfectly symmetrical, torn at the center by the main portal, on the main floor, accessible through a double staircase preceded by a first semi-circular section, which gives the whole monumentality. The portal, of straight lintel, is surmounted by a Baroque style coat of arms, topped by a crown, forming the most prominent element of the front.
Description of the house
Covered area (1st floor): 525 m2
5 rooms: 1 real room (50 m2); 2 suites (2x25 m2), 2 double rooms (22 and 18 m2)
1 kitchen (40 m2)
3 lounges (62 m2, 45 m2 and 40 m2)
1 office (25 m2)
Covered area: 525 m2
Living room (45 m2)
Games room (25 m2)
Cellar (95 m2)
2 store / other stores (2x50 m2)
Total land area (agricultural): 6 hectares (fertile land in excellent condition)
2 large stores (250 m2)
2 stores (one with mill)
Boxes for 3 horses
Kennel and perch
Secular olive grove (80 olive trees)
Spring water and a hole
Confrontation with a stream along the land (30 m from the reservoir)